From the Edinburgh Evening Courant – Saturday 17 March 1832
Fire. — On Sunday last, the parish church of Cleish, Kinross-shire, was accidentally set fire to by the stove-pipe communicating with one of the beams, and in very short time the whole of the interior was reduced to ashes. The fire occurred just as the people were assembling for worship, and although stoups and buckets were instantly in requisition to attempt the arrest of its progress, the devouring element overcame all obstruetion, and nothing of the kirk was left but the naked walls.
Happily the church has been rebuilt. This trail through time came about due to a visit to the church on the recent Open Doors day. The article makes wonderful use of the English language – particularly the stove-pipe ‘communicating’ with the beam.